COVID-19 rapid screening tests
Rapid tests are useful for quickly identifying people infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. They can be easily used by anyone and provide a result in just a few minutes.
- When to use a COVID-19 rapid screening test
- How to use a COVID-19 rapid screening test
- Steps to take based on the results of a COVID-19 rapid screening test
How to get COVID-19 rapid screening tests
Rapid tests are available in most pharmacies This hyperlink will open in a new window. These tests are reserved for:
- persons who are being considered for treatment with COVID-19 (e.g. PaxlovidTM)
- People who receive free medication under the public drug plan (recipients of last-resort financial assistance and people aged 65 and over with low income)
- Youths aged 14 to 17;
- full-time students aged 18 to 25.
In local points of service
Rapid tests for COVID-19 antigens are available free of charge to the general public in local points of service . Consult the local points of service and opening hours (in french only).
In CLSC and hospitals
Rapid tests can be picked up at the reception counters of the following places:
- Portneuf region
- Charlevoix region
- Québec region
- CLSC de L'Ancienne-Lorette
- CLSC de la Basse-Ville
- CLSC de la Jacques-Cartier (Loretteville)
- CLSC de Limoilou
- CLSC de Sainte-Foy-Sillery
- CLSC des Rivières (Édifice Christ-Roi)
- CLSC de la Haute-Ville
- CLSC La Source Nord
- CLSC La Source Sud
- CLSC Orléans (Beauport)
- CLSC Orléans (Beauport - Point de service Sainte-Brigitte-de-Laval)
- CLSC Orléans (Beaupré)
- CLSC Orléans (Maizerets)
- Clinique d’urgence mineure Jeffery Hale (Hôpital Jeffery Hale)
In schools and educational childcare services
Preschool, elementary, and high school students are provided testing kits so parents can test them and other family members at home. Tests are also provided to students at vocational training and adult education centres.
Educational childcare services provide the families with test kits so that the parent can do the screening test with his or her child and the rest of the family at home.
Distribution of rapid tests for businesses and the community
Employers from private companies and community organizations can access free rapid COVID-19 tests for their staff located in Quebec.
They have two options:
- Collect test boxes from local points of service.
- Place an order with the distribution center according to the current procedure (in French only).
If you have any questions about supply and delivery in your region, please write to us at: email@example.com
PCR tests at local points of service (Quebec, Portneuf, Charlevoix)
PCR tests performed at local points of service are now reserved for certain priority clienteles. Find out who has priority access to testing.
To book an appointment online, follow these steps:
- Go to the Clic Santé online booking portal.
- Select the COVID-19 category.
- Choose the sub-category "COVID-19 screening - Priority Clients".
- Enter your postal code.
- Follow the steps.
You can also make an appointment by phone at 418 644-4545 or 1 877 644-4545 (toll-free), Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Please note that it's also possible to come and see us on site, even if you haven't made an appointment. We can proceed with your screening test, traffic permitting. Call our call center at 418 644-4545 or toll-free at 1 877 644-4545 to find out the schedule of the nearest screening center.
Good to know before you go:
- Only certain clienteles have priority access to testing centers.
- COVID-19 screening tests are free for everyone.
- If you have a health insurance card, bring it with you.
- If you don't have a health insurance card or ID, you can still be tested.
Results following a screening test (PCR)
Negative and positive results are sent either by e-mail or by telephone, depending on the method chosen by the user for the screening test. If you chose e-mail, check your junk mail to make sure you've received your result.
If you haven't received your result within 3 days, fill out the disclosure request form.
Screening test for traveler
Travel screening is not covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Some countries require medical attestations or COVID-19 tests for travelers and nationals upon arrival. These requirements are not an indication of screening in Quebec. If you are a traveler, it is your responsibility to choose the appropriate test according to your destination, stopovers and carrier.
You will be refused at the testing center if you are tested for travel. The results provided by the center do not contain the PCR information required by most carriers.
It is possible to make an appointment at certain clinics or pharmacies that offer screening tests (Fees will be charged on site).
- Consult the Clic Santé online booking platform;
- Then click on COVID-19;
- Choose the sub-category COVID-19 Screening (paid service) - Regular customers.
- Follow the steps.
Preventing transmission of viruses and bacteria
The isolation instructions related to COVID-19 have been adjusted. In case of symptoms, follow the instructions presented on this page to take care of yourself and others.
Viruses and respiratory infectious diseases are spreading widely. You can take certain steps to prevent transmission.